The Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science

Dough School 680px

The Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (affectionately known as the ‘Dough School’) was established in 1908 from the amalgamation of the Glasgow School of Cookery (1875) and The West End School of Cookery (1878).  Both schools had aimed to help to improve the city’s health by educating working-class women about diet, nutrition and hygiene. Courses included cookery, laundry, housewifery, dressmaking, needlework and millinery.  This expanded to include the training of domestic science teachers, with both schools playing an important part in the development of domestic science as a taught subject.  Over the years the College syllabus developed to include training in dietetics, catering and institutional management, and as new social issues emerged in the 1970s, social work.  In 1975 it received the royal accolade, changing its name to the Queens College, Glasgow. 

In the 1980s the College expanded further and by the time it merged, to become Glasgow Caledonian University, it was also offering training in the allied health professions such as physiotherapy, orthoptics, and radiography.

Throughout its history the College has been committed to improving educational opportunities for women both in formal education and public awareness. From 1875-1976 the institution was run by a succession of female Principals who were supported by a predominantly female staff - exemplifying women working together for the common good.  For over a century the college has helped under-privileged women including the unemployed and low-waged. It has helped during times of scarcity, including two World Wars and trained thousands women to go into the workplace and become independent.