• Money
  • Discretionary Fund

Discretionary Fund

What is the Discretionary Fund?

The Discretionary Fund is a non- repayable Government fund administered by the Student Funding Team. You can apply to this Fund for help towards living costs such as accommodation, utility bills, travel and study costs. If you are unsure if this Fund is applicable to you, make sure you contact a Student Funding Adviser for information and advice.

How Do I Apply?

You can pick up a Discretionary Fund Application Form from The Base, Saltire Centre or The Student Funding Team, Carnegie Suite, 1st Floor, Saltire Centre. Alternatively, you can download an Application form here.

Fill out the Application Form and enclose copies of the relevant documentation listed on the front page of the form.

Make sure you remember to get your Application Form signed by an Academic Tutor as confirmation of attendance.

You need to provide documentation that shows you have taken out the maximum student loan that you are entitled to for the current academic year. No evidence of student loan is required for full time postgraduate students or part time students who are unable to take out a student loan, however, postgraduate students applying to the University Discretionary Fund will be required to provide evidence of funding already in place for living costs during their studies.

Some groups of students are given priority

  • Single parents
  • Students with other dependents
  • Disabled students
  • Independent students
  • Postgraduate students
  • Part- Time students


Part-time Students

Part-time students can only apply for help with study costs, travel and childcare. In order to apply to this fund, part-time students should complete the relevant section within the PINK PART-TIME application form which can be obtained from the Base or the Carnegie Suite in the Saltire Centre.

Help with Registered Childcare Costs

If applying for help with childcare costs,you will need to complete an Discretionary & Childcare Fund Application Form PLUS your carer/nursery will need to complete a Purple Carer Form which you can also obtain from the Base or the Carnegie Suite. Alternatively you can download the Carer Form here. More information about help with Childcare costs can be found here.

International, EU students and students who are fully funded by an NHS bursary, are not eligible to apply to this fund.


If you would like to discuss your own financial situation, make an appointment at The Base in the Saltire Centre to see a Student Funding Adviser or ask about our Drop-In sessions.