ATAS Online Application System
What is ATAS?
ATAS stands for Academic Technology Approval Scheme, which has been in place since 1st Novemeber 2007. An ATAS certificate is a special clearance granted by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), authorising study at postgraduate level in some science, technology and engineering subjects.
Who requires an ATAS certificate?
ATAS clearance is only required by some students. You do not need to apply if you are
- studying at undergraduate level
- a national of the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland and studying at any level
If you are not an EEA or Swiss national, and are studying at postgraduate level (eg. Masters or PhD), then you may need to apply for ATAS clearance, depending on the JACS code for your course of study (if you are unsure what your JACS code is, you should contact your school). Visit the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website to find out if an ATAS clearance certificate is required for your course.
How to Apply
You must apply for an ATAS certificate online. It should take around 30 minutes to complete, and the FCO aims to process applications within 20 working days. You will receive your certificate by email. Click here to access the online application form.
- If you are applying for a visa, a print-out of your ATAS certificate must be included with your application. Remember to apply in good time so that you can get your ATAS before you need to make your visa application.
- If you are making a new visa appication (eg. extending your current visa on the same course of study), you will need to apply for an ATAS certificate again, even if you have already received one previously.
- There is no charge for an ATAS application.
- If you require more information on ATAS, visit a drop-in session or email us.