Visa Immigration Support and Advice
We would like to welcome you to Glasgow Caledonian University and into our International Community.
We provide support and advice for all international students. We are based at the George Moore Building on the 1st floor. General visa enquiries can be answered at the Campus Life Desk on Level 1 of the George Moore Building. We offer drop-in sessions (no appointment required) where you can come and speak to an advisor. Appointments are also available.
Our general information and contact details for the Service is available in our Your Student Visa.
VISA Opening Hours:
Please check in at the VISA desk for appointments and drop-in sessions at the VISA area on the 1st floor of the George Moore Building.
Monday to Thursday: 10.00 am - 4.30 pm
Friday: 10.00 am - 4.00 pm
Drop-In Sessions are intended to answer quick enquiries. At these sessions, there is no need to book, just check in at the VISA desk on the 1st floor of the George Moore Building first. Each student is allocated a 10 minute slot. If you require more time with an adviser, please make an appointment by contacting VISA
Drop-in times each week are as follows:
|Tuesday||2.00 pm - 4.00 pm|
|Friday||10.00 am - 12.00 pm|
Tier 4 visa workshops for students
Our next Tier 4 visa workshops are:
- Tuesday 9th May 2017: 1.00pm - 4.00pm
- Tuesday 1st August 2017: 1.00pm - 4.00pm
Locations will be confirmed in due course. For details email the team at email@example.com
Immigration and Visa Advice should be given only by the trained staff in Visa Immigration Support and Advice (VISA) . If you have been given guidance from anyone else, please contact VISA directly.
- Please contact the team at least 12 weeks before your visa expires to begin the student visa process. Please attend a drop-in session to obtain a personalised checklist.
- All visa applications should be submitted to VISA before your visa expires. You should submit your visa application by appointment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request this or visit Campus Life Desk, Level 1 George Moore Building.
- Complete your online application and send or bring your log-in detail and all required documents including a credit/debit card for payment and photos to the arranged appointment. We will 'Check and Send' your visa application.
- Remember that if you are applying with dependants, VISA will need more time to check your forms, please inform of number of dependants at time of booking appointment. You should allow plenty of time to gather the required documents.
ATAS applications are taking a turnaround time of at least 20 working days (4 calendar weeks) for processing. For more information please see the ATAS website. The ATAS team asks for applicants to be patient.
It is your responsibility as a student to ensure that you adhere to the working conditions permitted on your visa, as well as all other conditions of your UK visa. If you would like to clarify your working allowance or have any other visa and immigration related questions, please email V.I.S.A.
Check our Facebook page for the latest updates on service times and news updates.
For information please e-mail us at VISA
Scam warning (January 2016)
UKCISA (the UK Council for International Affairs) has reported a telephone scam targeting international students. The intended victim will receive a phone call from someone who claims to work for the Home Office. The caller might say there is a problem with your immigration status or visa, and that you must pay a fine.
These calls may appear genuine, but you must remember that the UKVI will never ask that you pay money over the phone or through Western Union. Under no circumstances should you ever give your bank details or personal information to anyone over the phone. If you ever receive such a call, you must contact the police and VISA immediately. You may also wish to report it to Action Fraud. For more information on how to deal with this, visit the UKCISA website.
Due to UKVI sponsor licence duties, GCU cannot issue a CAS to students who wish to extend their visa for graduation. If you wish to return to the UK for your graduation ceremony, you will need to apply as a Standard Visitor.
VISA work closely with Student Wellbeing Service, for more information about the support available for international students, please visit their website: http://www.gcu.ac.uk/studentwellbeing/ on Level 1 of the George Moore Building.