Our current staff and students have free membership with full borrowing rights. Other people can have limited borrowing rights but for some groups there is a yearly charge.
How much does it cost?
- It’s free for:
- £30.00 each year for former staff and students who pay by direct debit. It is much more efficient for us to process your membership in this way. If you want to pay using cash or cheque, it costs £60.00.
- £60.00 each year for other members of the public, including nursing college students who graduated before 1992.
How many items can I borrow?
- A total of 7 items. Within this total there is a maximum of 5 long loans and 5 2-week loans.There are fines and other penalties for overdue items.
How do I join?
- Academics on reciprocal schemes
Bring your college ID card and a current pay slip or, if you have been recently appointed, a letter of appointment to The Base on level 0 of the Saltire Centre. You can usually pick up your library card and borrow books one week later.
- SCONUL Access members
Bring your university ID card and your SCONUL Access card to The Base on level 0 of the Saltire Centre. You can usually pick up your library card and borrow books one week later.
- Mentors - see the mentor scheme.
- All others
- Alumni can join online to take advantage of the £30.00 annual rate
- If you want to pay using cash or cheque, remember it costs £60.00. Please write, saying that you would like to join, to:
- Membership Department
Glasgow Caledonian University Library
Glasgow G4 0BA
We will send you an enrolment form, along with a copy of the library regulations and a guide telling you which of our services you can use. When you fill in and return the form to us with a cheque to cover your fee, we will post your membership card to you. To renew your membership each year, just repeat this process.
What are the membership conditions?
- You have to sign a registration form agreeing to keep to our regulations. We can withdraw your membership if you don’t keep to them or if you abuse the service.
- We can renew your membership only if you have no overdue items or fines to pay.
- Your membership doesn’t include the right to use libraries with which we have reciprocal agreements.
- We can refuse an application for membership, withdraw memberships and change costs and entitlements.
What other services can I use?
- On levels 2, 3 and 4 of the Saltire Centre you’ll find a laptop set up to let you use the library catalogue.
- People with REAL membership can use internet and office software on level 0. We’re sorry, you won’t be able to print your work or save it to our network, so you should bring a USB pen. You will not be allowed to borrow books with a REAL membership.
- You can become a REAL member if you live or work in Glasgow. Please bring two documents that prove who you are. One must be a formal document with your address on it.
- Our interlibrary loan and book reservation services are for our current staff and students only, but your local library may provide these for you.
Please send suggestions about improving this service to Sonya.Campbell@gcu.ac.uk.