I have been at Glasgow Calley since 1995 having moved from Glasgow University where I did my PhD and 5 years as a post doctoral researcher. Before that I was a community pharmacist and regional manager of a small chain of chemist shops and I am still on the register of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of GB.
I have a range of research interests from asthma to diabetes and equine laminitis.
- Obesity, inflammation and diabetes
- Fetoplacental vascular function in health and in diabetic pregnancy
- The pathophysiology of equine laminitis
- Cardiopulmonary testing for surgical risk analysis
- Airway remodelling in asthma
Recent Research Publications:
- Keen, J.A., Hillier, C., McGorum, B.C. and Nally, J.E. (2008). Characterisation of Endothelin Receptor Subtypes in Equine Laminar Veins. Equine Vet. J. 40, 488-492. Impact factor: 1.837
- Keen, J.A., Hillier, C., McGorum, B.C. and Nally, J.E. (2008) Evaluation of equine laminar vein function: harvesting, dissection and use of functional methods to distinguish between veins and arteries. J. Pharm. Tox. Meth. 57, 92-99
- Nally, J. E. & Brown, A. J. (2001). Hydrocortisone abolishes angiotensin II-mediated potentiation of endothelin-1 in bovine bronchi. Clin. Sci. 100, 19-23. Impact factor: 3.982
- Pitt, C. M. & Nally, J. E. (1999) Angiotensin II-mediated potentiation of endothelin-1-evoked bronchial contractions: a role for leukotrienes? Pulm. Pharmacol. & Ther. 12, 7-12. Impact Factor: 2.024
- Clayton, R. A., Nally, J. E., Maclean, M. R., Thomson, N. C. & McGrath, J. C. (1999). Effects of Chronic Hypoxia on Endothelin Receptor-mediated Responses in Rat Isolated Airways. Pulm. Pharmacol. & Ther. 12, 203-213. Impact Factor: 2.024
- Clayton, R. A., Nally, J. E., Maclean, M. R., Thomson, N. C. & McGrath, J. C. (1999). Chronic Exposure To Hypoxia Attenuates Contractile Responses in Rat Airways in vitro: A Possible Role for Nitric Oxide Eur. J. Pharmacol. 385, 29-37. Impact Factor: 2.585
- Clayton, R. A., Nally, J. E., Thomson, N. C. & McGrath, J. C. (1997). Changing the Oxygen Tension Alters the Ability of Bronchodilators to Protect Against Methacholine-induced Challenge in Isolated Bovine Bronchial Rings Pulmonary Pharmacol. and Ther., 10, 51-60. Impact Factor: 2.024
- Ramsay, S.G., Clayton, R.A., Dagg, K.D., Thomson, L.J., Nally, J.E. & Thomson, N.C. (1997). Effect of Angiotensin II (AII) on Histamine-induced Bronchoconstriction in the Human Airway both in Vitro and in Vivo., Respiratory Medicine, 91, 609-615. Impact factor: 2.331
- Clayton, R. A., Nally, J. E., Thomson, N. C. & McGrath, J. C. (1997). Interactions Between Endothelin-1-induced Contractions and Bronchodilators in Human Isolated Bronchi Clin. Sci., 93, 527-533. Impact factor: 3.982
PhD supervision present and previous:
- Chris Pitt (1999) The Role of Eicosanoids in the Potentiation of Endothelin-1 Evoked Bronchoconstriction by Angiotensin II.
- Roger Carter( 2001) Transcutaneous Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide Tension and its Application to the Investigation of Gas Exchange on Exercise in Cardiac and Respiratory Disease
- Jamie Coleman (2004,) Fetoplacental vascular function in health and diabetic pregnancy
- Elaine Gribben (2006) The Role of Glycosaminoglycans in Neprilysin Regulation and the remodelling of Tissues in the Airway
- John Keen (2009) Investigations into the pathophysiology of equine laminitis
- Janan Noman (current) Expired Gas Analysis during Exercise Testing as a Risk Assessment Method in Non-cardiopulmonary Surgery
- Hiela Alfallag (current) Inflammation, obesity and the Development of Type 2 Diabetes
I teach a wide range of subjects. I teach diabetes at all levels from 1st year undergraduate to Masters level and as CPD for Health Care Professionals. I teach airway physiology/pharmacology/pathophysiology to 3rd year, 4th year and Masters level. I also teach general endocrinology, embryology, nervous system, pharmacokinetics and various aspects of ionising and non-ionising radiation (I am the departmental radiation protection supervisor).
Extra curricular interests:
I have two horses that keep me fit active and broke! One is elderly but still keeps active and the other is young and does the more energetic stuff with me. I take part in dressage and endurance riding and occasionally in show jumping or Le Trec .
Other than that I have a large garden that I potter about in and grow fruit and vegetables in and not much time for anything else.