Glasgow School for Business and Society has strong links with industry and professional bodies worldwide. Working closely with these partners, we blend current business needs with the latest academic thinking, theories and practice to develop work ready graduates.
Our approach, focusing on learning for the real world and the future employment of our graduates, is supported by bringing real life into the classroom using live business projects, real life case studies, student placements, guest speakers, visits to industry and masterclasses from industry leaders.
Students also benefit from a wide range of guest speakers on our programmes, which have recently included:
- BCM Consultant, Glynn Wilsher, conducted a crisis management scenario exercise with the students on-campus
- Affinity Brokers Account Executive, Graeme Bass, presented a lecture on global insurance programmes
- Towergate Insurance, Dawn Harley & Alistair Dewar, spoke about Business Interruption insurance
- Energy, Utilities & Process Divisional MD, Douglas Wilson and Programme & Commercial Management, Mott Macdonald, delivered a presentation on project risk management on real life projects
- BNP Paribas guest speaker delivered a presentation focused on the Financial Crisis 2007-2009, the impacts on the market and on their business
- Morgan Stanley guest speaker presented to students on the Financial Crisis 2007-2009 and the impacts on the market and on their business. The other area introduced was the Regulatory Environment and the extent to which proposed changes would solve the perceived issues.
- Scottish Widows Investment Partnership Investment Director for Far East Markets discussed career opportunities as an Investment specialist, the various strategies adopted for Fund Management and shared their viewpoint on the Far Eastern market dynamics and their growth in the world markets.
- BrewDog plc Managing Director and co-founder James Watt presented on the maverick brewer which has experienced record growth since its launch in 2007.
- USC Fashion Retail Buyer (and graduate of GCU), Colette Milton, presented on business to business buying in her role as fashion buyer.
- Foyles, the National Bookseller of the Year 2011's Head of Marketing, Miriam Robinson, presented a guest lecture and discussed the brand, their marketing strategies, and the current difficulties within the book retailing industry.
- David Hayman, actor, film-maker, philanthropist and founder of Spirit Aid, presented an extremely uplifting and inspirational talk to MSc Marketing students about his charity organisation.
- Hotel Caiplie House owner, Finlay Kerr, discussed with students how he speaks to the ‘hearts and minds’ of his customers through building relationships through social networking, face-to-face customer service and how to build a brand through new technology.
- Warehouse Head of Marketing, Danielle Brown, shared some of her experience of the fashion sector and discussed the importance of internationalisation and ecommerce and the exciting changes taking place with regards to social networking
- Polo Ralph Lauren Europe, President and Chief Operating Officer, Professor Brian Duffy delivered a Masterclass on ‘Managing in the Global Luxury Market - A Castlemilk Perspective’.
- The Warehouse Founder and owner of W2, David Mullane, provided a presentation on brand development.
- Primark Merchandise Manager presented on merchandising and logistics.
- Aidan Flynn and Robert Lyon, Irn Bru, presented on logistics and operations.
- Maggie Heraty, Humanitarian Aid speaker, focused on the logistics of Humanitarian aid plus insight into what is required in a presentation to students.
- John Dunlop and Afzal Mahmood, PwC, delivered a consultancy Masterclass providing an overview of the consultancy sector, focusing on how consultancy works in practice and working with clients.
- Shaun Foley, COO, delivered a presentation on logistics in action.
- Environment Management Consultant with 20 years experience, spoke about how to prepare for ISO14000 accreditation by creating a defendable Environment Management System.
- Dan Perry, Operations Management Simulation Game and Consultant, presented on operations planning and control, in particular the redesign of layout; push and pull systems.