PhD Researcher - Informatics in Design and Construction
T: 0141 331 8420
Currently Studying Towards
Area of Research
Opening up Scottish Technical Standards and the process of mapping static documents to semantic datasets which can be used in next generation web applications.
The planning system in Scotland aims to ensure best development of our land through a structured process designed such that Scotland benefits economically socially and environmentally from the sustainable use of our land. Unfortunately there is a high degree of human inconsistency which blurs this idealistic vision, therefore there is a requirement to ensure the standardised use of legislative and regulatory documentation which will ensure integrity remains key within our planning system. My work focuses on the mapping of static data formats such as PDF and HTML into resources which can be used in an array of applications across the semantic web.
Research Publications (last 3 years)
- McGibbney, L. J., Kumar, B. (2011). The WOMBRA Project: A Web-based Ontology-enhanced Multi-purpose Building Regulation Retreival Application for Scottish Technical Standards Proceedings of the CIB W78-W102 2011: International Conference –Sophia Antipolis, France, 26-28 October
- McGibbney, L. J., Kumar, B. (2011). A Knowledge-directed Information Retrieval and Management Framework for Energy Performance Building Regulations. Proceedings from the 2011 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering: June 19-22, 2011, Miami, FL, USA
- KUMAR, B., CHENG, J.C.P. and MCGIBBNEY, L., 2010. Cloud computing and its implications for construction IT. In Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, Proceedings of the International Conference, W. TIZANI (Editor), 30 June-2 July, Nottingham, UK, Nottingham University Press, Paper 158, p. 315, ISBN 978-1-907284-60-1
Conference Contributions (last 3 years)
- Delegate at ApacheCon 2011, 6-11th November, Vancouver Canada Westin Bayshore
- Delegate at the 10th International Semantic Web Conference 2011, October 23-28th October, Bonn, Germany
- Delegate at TransferSummit 2011, 7-8th September, Keble College, Oxford, UK