Tel: +44 (0)141 331 3503
From a strong base of industry and commercial knowledge and experience the group has interests in the areas of design and creativity in the fields of digital media focusing on 3d Virtual Environments and Animation, Graphic design for the digital environment, Interior design encompassing virtual, real and technical aspects and Product design concerning real, digital and virtual aspects of the design of products. At advanced level design of Virtual environments and Design Management are the areas of concentration. The group works with a range of industry partners from start-up companies to large companies, attracting significant funds in knowledge transfer.
Areas of Excellence:
- Commercially aware credible design and creativity solutions for appropriate clients.
- Design Management Strategies in relation to new ideas, ventures and opportunities.
- Application of knowledge experience and technology in the field of design and creativity.
- Design Learning and teaching.
- 2D, 3D & Motion Graphics encompassing a range of Digital Media applications.
- Best practice and commercially aware mentoring in collaborative work with partners.
- Knowledge and Experience of Engineering communication applications.
Courses within Subject group
- BA/BA (Hons) 3D Computer Animation
- BA/BA (Hons) Computer Games (Art & Animation)
- BA/BA (Hons) Graphic Design for Digital Media
- BA/BA (Hons) Interior Design
- BSc/BSc(Hons) Interior Design (being phased out)
- BA/BA (Hons) International Product Design
- PgD/MA 3D Design for Virtual Environments
- PgD/MA Design Practice and Management
Academic Staff List
There are current no appropriate accreditation bodies that cover all of the Digital Media & Design programmes due to the wide range of the subject group and the dynamically evolving nature of the subject group area. There are however, a number of programme area specific accreditation routes in progress.
- Merchant Soul
- Frame Digital
- Red Empire
- Interface 3
- Meso Design
- Archial Architects
- Graven Images
- Mucky Puddle
- Page and Park Architects
- Guigario, ITAL design studios
- Rock DCM
- Auto Desk
- NHS Scotland
- Abertay University
- Dundee University
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Glasgow
- Portsmouth University
- St Helens College, John Moore University, Liverpool
- HTW Berlin, Germany
- HTW Aalen, Germany
- HTW Wiesmar, Germany
- Fraunhofer Darmstaad, Germany
- INESC, Portugal
- PKU, Finland
- Metropolia, Finland
- Fredrick University, Cyprus
- ISCAP Porto, Potugal
- BRNO, Czech Republic
- TAMK, Finland
- University of Delaware, USA
- TAMBOV, Poland
- Tomsk , Russia
- Ural State, Russia
- AAA, Katerineberg.
- TEIT Heraklion, Crete
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
- Rawlplug - Design and performance testing of products
- Curious group – Business processes within a creative company
- Novograf – Development of digital design and operating procedures within printing and display company
- Rawlplug – Design and manufacturing optimisation
- Street League - Design and development of communication strategies for a third sector organisation
- Fearsomengine – The development of a environmental sustainable design process for a product design and engineering consultancy.
All programmes include, as a core element, working on industry led design briefs and can lead to placements and future working opportunities. This strategy ensures that all students engage with a variety of credible and significant industry focused projects throughout their programme duration resulting in a realistic and live educational experience.
PgD/MA Design Practice & Management: Two academically accredited placements in creative businesses.