The LFI-Engage project was carried out in 4 phases (LFI Quality Questionnaire, Toolkit Development Visits, Toolkit Refinement Visits and Stakeholder Review).
LFI Quality Questionnaire
- Pilot study: Validating the LFI Quality Questionnaire. The questionnaire was distributed to pilot sites. Minimum responses: N=200. The noted minimum number of responses was required for validation and reliability tests of the instrument. In order to decide on the number of pilot sites, the number of employees and the potential response rate were considered. These sites were not required to be in the same country. The sites used in the pilot study were not the same as the main sites (1.2). The pilot LFI Quality Questionnaire was distributed via email. Estimated dates for access: Aug-Sep 2012.
- Running the validated LFI Quality Questionnaire in the main sites. The validated LFI Quality Questionnaire was run at a number of main sites in order to diagnose the status of LFI processes and practices. This information gathered served as a basis for the following phases of the project (activities 2 and 3).
The main sites:
- Were part of Shell and at least one other company, to allow for comparisons of LFI practices across different organisational settings.
- Included at least two sites from Shell to allow for comparison of different local sites’ approaches within the same company.
- Included sites from the UK and abroad, to allow for exploring the impact of different cultures on LFI and to ensure wider usability of the instrument.
The LFI Quality Questionnaire was distributed via email. Estimated dates for access: Oct 2012.
Toolkit Development Visits
Preliminary toolkit development visits were conducted at the main sites. The purpose of these visits was to:
- Present elements of the LFI Framework and the LFI Cycle.
- Discuss the outcomes of the LFI Quality Questionnaire within each specific site.
- Formulate ideas for improvements regarding the issues identified at each site.
- Gather ideas for LFI-Engage sessions.
Number of visits = One visit per site Number of people involved per site = 8-15 frontline managers, supervisors and safety representatives. Duration: 1 day.
Estimated dates for access: end of Oct-Dec 2012.
Toolkit Refinement Visits
The purpose of the toolkit refinement visits was to:
- Present the LFI-Engage Toolkit, including guidelines and recommendations.
- Gather feedback on the clarity and usability of the Toolkit.
- Identify potential improvements to increase the usability of the Toolkit.
The Toolkit was made available to the meeting participants in advance. Number of visits = one visit per site. Number of people involved per site = 8-15 frontline managers, supervisors and safety representatives. Duration: 1 day.
Estimated dates for access: Feb-Mar 2013.
A stakeholder review meeting was facilitated to allow a broad range of relevant stakeholders to comment on the Toolkit. The stakeholder meeting coincided with a HOFCOM meeting. The draft LFI-Engage Toolkit was circulated in advance to prompt discussion. Relevant stakeholders not attending the meeting (HSE, IChemE, and others) were sent a copy of the Toolkit in order to gather further feedback and suggestions. Feedback was gathered via email.
Estimated dates for access: May 2013.