The Educational Research & Evaluation (ER&E) Team are part of the Department of Academic Quality & Development. Our overall objective is to drive and support educational research and scholarly activity in pedagogy, practice, policy and participation in partnership with the academic Schools.
The overarching driver for the team’s work is the GCU 2020 Strategy, particularly its goal of ‘Transforming lives through education’. Activities are also closely aligned to the Strategy for Learning, guided by priorities emerging from external drivers such as the SFC Outcome Agreement, the QAA Enhancement Led Institutional Review, as well as the National Student Survey and other measures.
The work of the team falls into three key areas of activity. The ER&E team undertake:
- A range of activities designed to support Research and Scholarship in Learning & Teaching:
- Supporting 2020 Student Experience Action Plan Scholarship projects focused on key strategic priorities.
- Establishing a cross-university Educational Research and Evaluation Community of School-based staff with an interest in educational research and evaluation brought together around these priorities.
- Producing outputs to demonstrate and bring coherence to the range of educational research activities being undertaken in the University.
- Impact Evaluation projects to evidence the effectiveness of initiatives that address key institutional priorities
- Educational Research in Strategy 2020 and SfL priority areas, generating evidence to inform policy and practice within GCU, and leading to an improved Student Experience.
The activities of the ER&E team are designed to provide evidence to inform strategic development and evidence of impact, with findings communicated through informal and formal briefing papers and reports. These internal outputs will be complemented (where appropriate) with external research outputs (publications and presentations).